Children’s Miracle Network Supported Programs
Many programs and services would not be possible without the community’s generosity and support of Children’s Miracle Network at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital. Contributions from individuals, events and corporate sponsors have provided state-of-the-art medical equipment, patient education, diversionary items and a wide range of services just to name a few.
Please read below to see specific examples of how your generosity makes a difference.
- From July 1, 2011 – June 31, 2012, the UF Department of Pediatrics utilized $1.84 million gifted by Children’s Miracle Network to focus on research, like stem cell therapy, brain processes and nerve stimulation, spinal cord injuries, and biomechanical nutrition.
- Thanks to a $68,000 donation in 2012 from Children’s Miracle Network, our pediatric patients will enjoy a newly renovated activity room, “The Swamp.” This room houses gaming systems, a pool table, and plenty of space for activities from Arts in Medicine and Child Life.
- Thanks in part to a $750,000 donation from Children’s Miracle Network, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital renovated the Pediatric Emergency Department in July 2011. The update made this emergency department solely for our youngest of patients.
- Thanks in part to a $500,000 donation from Children’s Miracle Network, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital renovated the Immunocompromised Unit, serving our patients battling conditions that deplete their immune system.
- Thanks to a $4.2 million grant from Children’s Miracle Network, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital renovated the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Level 3 in January 2005. The update increased the NICU nursery space from 1,890 square feet to 4,060 square feet. This increased space allows for greater privacy and intimacy for the parents and visiting family.
- The extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) program provides intense care for infants with cardiac disease or reversible respiratory failure. Funding to start this program was funded through the Children’s Miracle Network.
- Children’s Miracle Network dollars have also paid for renovations of rooms on the fourth floor to make the environment more responsive to the needs of children who are away from their homes and families with rooms that are more like home.
- Tours of operating and recovery rooms for children prior to their surgery are designed to help ease their anxiety by acquainting them with this unique environment.
- Both research and patient care equipment have been funded for Hematology / Oncology Pathology / Obsetrics and Gynecology, Gastroenterology, Immunology, Transplantation, Pulmonary Diseases, Endocrinology and Neonatology.
- Our Child Life Program has been enhanced with educated books, games, video systems, a playscape activity center and computers.
- Rocking chairs, blood pressure monitors, infant warmers, medical play dolls, dialysis machines, external pacemakers, telemetry units and other patient care equipment has been made available for units including Pediatric Intensive Care, Neonatal Intensive Care, General Pediatrics, Cardiac Intensive Care and the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit.